About Cittaslow Sebastopol
Cittaslow Sebastopol’s Mission and Vision
In a nutshell, the mission of Cittaslow Sebastopol is to keep Sebastopol green, local, friendly and artistic. Stated more specifically:
Cittaslow Sebastopol preserves our unique town character by collaborating with individuals, businesses, nonprofits, schools, the faith community, and government agencies to create activities and programs that
- Support local products and agriculture
- Celebrate local culture and history
- Promote connections and collaboration
- Make wise use of technology
- Welcome visitors. Embrace neighbors.
- Protect the environment
Cittaslow Sebastopol draws upon the resources of its national and international network of “slow cities.” Together, we work to encourage a balanced, human-paced lifestyle and to maintain a vibrant community that is environmentally, socially, and economically connected, healthy, and resilient.
Cittaslow Sebastopol Structure
Sebastopol received its "Slow City" designation as a result of then-Mayor Sarah Gurney working with the City Manager to complete a 60-item questionnaire regarding Sebastopol's activities in the 6 Slow City priorities.
Sebastopol's existing orientation around Local Flavor Global Vision, resulted in a very high rating at the international level. In fact, Sebastopol received the highest score of any US applicant city to date. Cittaslow Sebastopol is an ad hoc committee of the City. It functions as a 501c3 organization under the umbrella of the fiscal sponsor of the national Cittaslow organization: Inquiring Systems, Inc. As such, it is able to receive donations which are fully tax deductible. (See our donor page to learn more.)
The Cittaslow designation belongs to the City of Sebastopol, but the Steering Committee of Cittaslow Sebastopol is tasked with creating slow projects to assure that Sebastopol continues to abide by and improve its participation with the 6 priorities.
Cittaslow Sebastopol is the non-profit, community development partner for the City of Sebastopol. It is primarily an educational/networking organization. It specifically does not endorse political candidates or ballot measures and it refrains from engaging in polarizing rhetoric.
Currently there are two officers of the Steering Committee: Clare Najarian and Tasha Beauchamp, both of whom serve as the Co-Chairs.
Ways to Participate
There are many ways to get involved and to show your support for Sebastopol's Slow City philosophy:
- Like us on Facebook. Part of our function is to be an educational source of information for the community about activities and events pertaining to the 6 priorities. Stay up to date by LIKING us on Facebook.
- Sign up for email updates. We periodically send out emails, usually if there is an important City event (e.g., meetings designed for community input...) or we are putting on something special, like the Community Gratitude Open House.
- Donate. We do our very best to keep expenses low: no office, no paid positions, no equipment. But there simply are things like insurance, booth fees, and other expenses that go along with running an educational community endeavor. We gladly accept donations of any amount.
- Become a Cittaslow Volunteer. If you like what we are doing, or have an idea for a project, contact us and find out how to participate. Volunteers can work as much or as little as they wish. If something sparks your interest, get in touch!
- Join the Steering Committee. Steering Committee members set policy and select the projects for the coming year. They also typically spearhead a project, working collaboratively with volunteers, City staff and others in the community..
If you have questions, or an idea for a way to participate, contact Cittaslow Sebastopol Steering Committee via email: firstname.lastname@example.org.